Monday, March 28, 2011

Life in the fast lane

It occured to me the other day that I haven't updated my blog about Bryson in a while.  When I logged on, I was shocked to see that it had been almost a year!  As the saying goes, time flies when you are having fun, and boy does that ring true.  A lot of stuff has happened since I have last blogged.  Some good, some bad, but mostly fun!  I don't remember everything that happened because a year is a long time to remember things without writing them down.  I think I need to write myself a note to get on here and blog more often. 

So much has happened since the last blog that I can't remember everything. The most important thing was that Bryson turned 2.  Most people say that the 2's are terrible, but Bryson hasn't been that bad.  He gets really tempermental when he is going through a growth spurt, but other than that, he's your typical 2 year old boy.  He's always on the go, into everything, and asks a ton of questions.  For his second birthday, we just had a small dinner for family.  We went to Sonny's barbecue and after dinner, we had a cookie cake and opened presents.  He got a ton of new Thomas the Train toys that he didn't have as well as a gift card and some clothes.  Since it was just a small family gathering, the only otherpeople there besides us were Aunt Rebecca, Uncle Ken, cousins Gabriel, Xavier, & Sebastian, Uncle Mike, and Aunt Stephanie.  It was really nice to have almost the whole family together.  Bryant's parents decided that they didn't want to be there and went to Destin, FL instead. 

Shortly after his second birthday he willingly gave up his paci.  I was really surprised at how easy it was, but then again he transitioned from a bottle to a sippy cup pretty easy as well.  He came up to me one night and handed me his paci and told me that it was broke and asked if I could fix it.  He had bitten the tip completely off of the pacifier.  I told him that I couldn't fix it and that we didn't have anymore.  We had a few more floating around the house somewhere, but that was the only one that we could find at the time.  When he went to bed that night, he kept asking for the paci and I had to explain to him that he had broken it and there wasn't another one.  I gave him the broken one, so he put it in his mouth and then decided that he didn't want it because it was broken.  He whimpered for about 15-20 minutes and then fell asleep.  The next day he didn't ask for the paci at all, which was kind of shocking to me.  A few weeks after he had been paci free, he found 2 of them under our bed while looking for a toy that had fallen.  He popped up and acted like he had hit the jackpot.  Luckily he had been chewing on the paci's so the tips were pretty much gone anyway.  We grabbed them from him as quick as we could and finished ripping the ends off.  Bryson cried for a few minutes and then was fine.  If I would have known it was that easy to get rid of the thing, I would have cut the tips of them off a long time ago!

In October we took two trips.  The first was to Indiana to see my family and go to a family reunion.  We stayed for almost a full week up there and Bryson got to see everyone that he normally doesn't get to see except in pictures.  He seemed to really enjoy it.  While we were there, we went to something called Harvest Homecoming.  It's kind of like a fall festival.  There are booths set up with people selling things, lots of fair food, and rides.  The first ride he rode was the slide.  He loved it and didn't want to get off.  He wanted to go again.  The next thing he rode was the carousel.  He was terrified of it and wanted off as soon as it started to move.  I rode with him and sure did have my hands full trying to keep him on the horse.  He was climbing, kicking, and screaming.  He was not a happy camper until the ride was stopped and his feet were safely back on the ground.  We didn't attempt to put him on any other rides after that, but he did ride the slide one more time and that seemed to calm him down from the carousel incident.  When we ran out of tickets, he had a complete meltdown and wanted to ride the slide, or lide as he calls it, again.  By the time we got back to the car, he was fast asleep, so I'm pretty sure that most of the meltdown was brought on by it being close to nap time.  The next trip that we took was at the end of the month.  We went to Talledega, AL for the weekend and saw a NASCAR race.  We chose to go camping at the racetrack because it was free and that seemed like a good option until we got there.  A storm had came through and the weather turned super cold!  It was cold enough that we had to buy heaters for the tents and go to Walmart and buy some emergency blankets.  Our tickets were for the whole weekend, so the Nationwide race was on Saturday and the Cup race was on Sunday.  On Saturday, we walked up to the track from the campsite and started to watch the race.  Bryson was already wore out by the time we got there because it was a good 2 mile walk and they don't allow you to bring strollers in and of course Mr. Independant wanted to walk.  He made it about a quarter of the way through the race and then wanted to go to sleep.  He doesn't like to be held, so it was kind of difficult there.  I decided that I would take him back to the tent and we could take a nap since I was a little tired as well.  On the way back to the tent, he was good as gold!  I guess racing just wasn't his thing that day.  Later that night after we all got up from our naps, we walked back to the racetrack for the Halloween festivities.  This time we were allowed to take the stroller!  Bryson didn't make it all the way to the track before he fell asleep.  The next day was a lot better.  He didn't beg to go back to the tent and was pretty content watching the cars for a little while before he decided that he was bored and done with it.  He then proceeded to play with some of his trains that I had put in purse.  Overall it was a pretty good experience.

Not too long before Thanksgiving, he was diagnosed with a speech delay and it was reccomended that he be put into speech therapy.  He goes every Wednesday morning.

Thanksgiving and Christmas came next.  Nothing really exciting happened at Thanksgiving and Christmas was really nice.  He got way more toys than he needed, but he enjoyed what he got and he still plays with everything.  New Years Eve we stayed home and watched tv.  He didn't make it to see the ball drop to bring in the new year, but that's ok, because Mommy didn't either.

Valentine's Day was the next holiday, and we consider that more of a Halmark Holiday, so we don't really celebrate it.  I had a doctor's appointment that day, so Aunt Rebecca watched him for a few hours.  When I went to pick him up, she handed me a home-made card that he had "colored" in and a disc with some pictures that she had taken of him.  Even though we don't celebrate Valentine's Day, that was the best present that I could have ever gotten!  Next up was our vacation, but that is going to be a whole different post, so I hope that you enjoyed reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment